The One-Legged Sandpiper
"Knee deep and just a little behind"
Landscaping and Wisdom Teeth
Subscribe on line.
Weather Wherever I happen to be at the time.
News Mostly Shop related
Adirondack Style furniture business related news.
Green Side Up Gardening News.
Local News, Events and History
Links to interesting sites.
Eastside Marketplace, Providence, RI.
Ocean Beach New Jersey.
Real-Estate for sale, or just interesting.
HTML lessons. Learn how gently and thoroughly.
Here's The Church A pictorial and historical look at my home.
Here's The Steeple A look at attics and bell towers and such.
Danger Kitchen Food, cooking and eating.
Credits, sponsors and contributors.
The Five Mile River
The northern border of the village of Attawaugan is near the remains of the dam that created the mill pond for the Attawaugan Company mill. This is the remains of the gates that controlled the flow of water into the mill race from the pond behind the dam.
This is all that remains of the dam viewed from the west bank. The foundation stones are clearly visible 20 feet below. The dam broke in thirties; washing out everything in the little valley south of here including the bridge that what is now route 12 crossed the river on.
Looking south from the remains of the dam, the river begins to drop rapidly. The natural drop in river level in this area was the reason for locating the mill here 150 years ago. The greater the drop in water level, the more horsepower can be generated for running machinery.
Looking north towards the dam remains. Notice the flat deep water behind what's left of the foundation. The only flat water on the river south of Ballouville.
Some large rocks south of the dam, just as the river bends towards the north to flow past the church. These rocks are great for settin'.
The flood zone on the north bank of the river is loaded with Skunk Cabbage. Recipe to follow in Danger Kitchen. This should be a prime area for Fiddleheads but sadly isn't.
This is the area between the mill race and the river just north of the church. During spring thaw, or long periods of rain, the river can flood this entire area.
Looking up at the church through the trees from the top of the mill race.
Looking south under the new route 12 bridge. The twisted footings of the bridge washed out when the dam broke are visible near the water. The river runs southwest from here to join the Quinnebaug River, which runs south into the Norwich River, Which Joins the Thames River and flows past Electric Boat and the Sub Base in Groton and New London to Long Island Sound.
This little spillway just south of the mill seems to back up the river enough for the water that was used by the mill to flow out of the mill and back into the river at a slower pace so that erosion of the river bank and exit from the mill was not a problem.
So That's The Five Mile River!
Some NJ Shore, Ocean County and Lavallette links this week. Maybe I just need a fix.
Ocean County Links Some great ones here.
Discover Ocean County
Water Related Topics
Surf Fishing A nicely designed site.
The Tradewinds Motor Lodge
The Lavallette Barber Shop
More Website progress coming soon using photos and descriptive text by Randall Goodridge, a citizen of Barbados attending Johnson and Whales University in Providence.
Check out the Bloom Aroma Therapy partial order form.
the Rhode Island Product page, featuring Mayor's own Marinara Sauce.
Remember, these are not complete order forms. They're just set up to establish color schemes and page layouts and graphic content. The actual pages will be delivered by an online database.
A History Of The Ocean County Seashore
Quoting from Edwin Salter's "History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties," published in 1889. (yea but when did the cheese steak place open) And that's it for part Four. Look for part Five in the next issue.
Some eighteen or twenty years ago Point Pleasant was an unimproved, undeveloped tract, till taken hold of by Captain John Arnold, and the result of his energy and enterprise is now seen in fine cottages, schools, churches, hotels and boarding houses standing on well laid out streets an avenues, where formerly rabbits and reptiles were found want to burrow. At that time, the population did not exceed twelve families, and ingress from Philadelphia or New York implied 40 miles (sic) by stage, and the loss of a wholes day for a single journey. Point Pleasant now has Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Protestant, Episcopal, Roman catholic, and Presbyterian Churches, graded Public and private schools, two Post Offices, and a railroad station.
It's northeastern most point was then called Arnold City, and the area just south of that was called Point Pleasant City, which had "received increasing patronage from seaside seekers, who have purchased lots and are building summer homes upon them. The "Resort House" attracts large number during the hot summer months."
The Bay Head Land Company was incorporated September 6, 1879, capital $12,000. The incorporators were from Princeton. A Post Office was established in 1882. Population was 75 in 1888, and according to Salter, "prospects for the future are flattering."
The Mantoloking tract was laid out by the New Jersey Seashore Land and Improvement Company, under the management of Capt. Arnold.
Here Salter Mentions the "grading and complete lying over of the entire beach with heavy fertile inland soil."
Ortley Beach was named for Michael Ortley of Silverton, who bought land there in the early 1800s. He supervised an attempt to reopen Cranberry Inlet in 1815, but it failed.
Seaside Park was established in the 1870s as a Baptist resort. Early ways of making a living were fishing, clamming, crabbing and transporting people to the mainland. They had their own school by 1894. A road to Point Pleasant Beach was completed in 1913. Their first hotel was the Hiawatha, built in the mid-eighties.
Only one visit to the cottage on the lake this week due to a throbbing wisdom tooth. The sunset was worth
the pain. Imagine feeling warm summer breezes blowing across the lake through the trees and into the open windows
while you're eating or sleeping or whatever.
A History Of The Ocean County Seashore
Quoting from Edwin Salter's "History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties," published in 1889. (yea but when did the cheese steak place open)
Quoting from Edwin Salter's "History of Monmouth and Ocean Counties," published in 1889.
(yea but when did the cheese steak place open)
And that's it for part Four.
Look for part Five in the next issue.
Time to start thinking about what to make for dinner when it gets to looking like this.
|Only three pictures of the sunset before the camera fell in the water. Even that couldn't spoil the mood.|
$1500.00 down, $80.00 or so per month, with rental income potential to offset expenses. Only 7 more people needed. One of them is you.
The "Piper" is brought to you courtesy of
Adirondack Style Outdoor Furniture.
For None of your furniture needs ... yet.