Subj: One-legged Sandpiper 02-11-99
Date: 2/11/99
To: pm08732, dmmcbt, acker0613, rsadankas

The One-Legged Sandpiper
Monday, February 8, 1999
Thursday, February 11, 1999
Number Five
"Knee deep and just a little behind"

Monday morning started early in the dungeon under the shop putting a temporary splice on a 20 Amp 220 line for the dust collector to be used with the Table saw. We swore off going down here again for a while but...
The permanent wiring layout is still up in the air pending final tool placement.

Monday saw the first use of email for shop tech support. A copy of the days cutting list was emailed for retrieval in Providence if necessary. A scanner will improve this procedure a lot. The camera just doesn't like focusing that close. You can see it's not exactly a CAD/CAM shop. Yet...

An empty lumber dryer might as well be a greenhouse so Monday night was a Home Depot run for a nice batch of 40 select boards for the next batch of furniture. The van is maxed out at 40. The truck can only do about 12 due to tired leaf springs. This method will have to due until I can find a supplier to sell units (192 boards) and upgrade the trailer situation to a twelve thousand pound gross three axle deal. Nasty wet wood also. It released enough moisture over night to coat the entire inside of the van in an eighth inch thick layer of frost.

Here's the lumber dryer tracks after planing down a big high spot near the door. It makes it tough to move the railcar with a ton of wood on it the tracks aren't smooth and level.

A little alignment problem taken care of as well. The notches in the frames above the rails were enlarged as well to take care of a clearance problem.

Here's the first row of new wet wood on the railcar. These are twelve foot boards on a car built for sixteen foot boards. The railcar will have to be modified to a twelve foot length and a four foot length in case sixteen foot wood is needed. For handling purposes, planing the first batch of sixteens proved that they just aren't practical for large batches. Just too @#&^$@#$ big and heavy. The lumber dryer could fit two twelve foot railcars which would hold two thousand board feet of wood. Enough for a month's production at 25 chairs per week.

Each layer needs to be separated by these spacers to allow air to circulate. They have to be spaced over the frames of the railcar and exactly over each other or they can cause warping of the board that could make it impossible to plane or sand.

This is three hundred board feet on the car. This is possible to move by hand with two people.

Here's the wood for the decorative and structural (for the sake of final inspection) I-beams that will hold up the promenade deck, planed and dadoed.

These are the base flanges cut and ready for finishing. These will provide a base to bolt the I-beams to the floor and promenade deck underside. The van roof racks a behind them and ready to go back on the van.

The new steel saw horses all have 2x6s bolted to the top of them now. This makes them less slippery and likely to destroy a saw blade that hits them.

They make perfect temporary in feed tables until all the stuff is moved out of the way for the big rolling tables. Never any shortage of stuff in the way.

Here's the railcar Wednesday morning with the second wood load on. Six hundred board feet total. It became obvious that a winch is needed to move this sucker in and out.

Nothing like a quick nap by the wood stove.

Thursday morning brought warm weather and dampers on the lumber dryer to control air flow. When the weather is warm, the dampers get closed to allow heat to build up and release more moisture from the wood. Then the fan kicks in to get the moist air out of the dryer.

When the weather is cooler, the dampers are open to allow convection air flow to gently reduce the moisture level. Weather stripping helps eliminate leaks so the air flows across the whole wood stack.

Simple battens hold it closed.

Cool dry air comes in the front lower dampers.

Today's dump run emptied all the cans out back, which makes room for major sawdust. A few hours and the shop can be knee deep in wood chips.

The temporary braces for the new overhang went up today to help support the weight of the short loading dock beams completed this week. One section of loading dock left to go.

All the wood for the tool bases is cut. The bases will bring each tool's working surface up to the same level as the rolling in feed tables. The bases also allow each tool to be moved with the pallet jack. Five hundred pounds and up is tough to drag around by hand.

The first nice sunset at the lake this year. 5:30 and it's still a little light out.

This little cabin is home to the best sunsets in CT. Except for Stonington.

Could be a cabin in the Adirondacks on a finger lake or something similar.

A dock and sparkly-stuff on the water. Must be close to spring.

It was such a nice day; even TK came out for a while.

That's all for now.